Pre-pregnancy counselling, taking folic acid

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Question: Hello Doctor, I am 30 yrs old female, Got married 8 months before. Taking folic acid tablets for last 3 months. Would like to know the Pre pregnancy planning infor.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 26 hours later
Hello.

I am glad to know that you are aware of the importance of prepregnancy counselling.
The most fertile day is cycle length in 14 days, that means in a 30 days cycle day 16. Hence if you have regular intercourse every 2-3 days interval there is good chance of pregnancy.

The pregnancy rate per month is around 15%. You may try for 8-12 months before you worry about not getting pregnant.

You must eat healthy and exercise regularly.
If you have a personal or family history of diseases like diabetes high blood pressure thyroid disease seizures etc please consult a physician for adequate control before pregnancy.
Ideal BMI should be between 19-25.Try to be close to the target.

I would recommend the following prepreg tests
hemoglobin, blood sugar. TSH, Thalassemia screen, rubella IgG and IgM

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chetna Jain

OBGYN