Poked left eye with fingernail and having a red and irritated eye. Have dry eyes. Could I be having recurring corneal abrasions?
Dry eye related corneal problems.
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Iam Dr. Dadapeer, an Ophthalmologist and I answer eye related problems.
It seems from the history that you had fingernail injury one year back following which you had corneal abrasion which was treated by General Practitioner. After which eye specialist has started on Restasis eye drops and lower puntum plugs for diagnosis of dry eyes.
Coming to your question of Could I be having Recurrent corneal erosions?
Recurrent corneal erosions is because of defective attachment of corneal epithelium to basement membrane called as Bowmans membrane resulting in recurrent episodes of breakdown of epithelium resulting in recurrent corneal erosions.
Though it can follow minor injury like finger nail injury it is usually a part of syndrome called as recurrent corneal erosion syndrome because of dystrophy of cornea in which case it will involve both the eyes.
Since in your case it is following injury and injury is one year old it is unlikely to be recurrent corneal erosion syndrome.
Since you have been diagnosed with Dry eye, dry eye is known to cause complications like epithelial erosions, filamaentary keratopathy, punctate keratopathy...
Hence you may have any one of the corneal problems caused by dry eye.
Since you are already on treatment with Restasis eye drops which contains Cyclosporine for treatment of dry eye.
In addition you may require preservative free artificial tear eye drops for treatment of your corneal problem.
If the condition wont respond to it then you may go for therapeutic soft contact lenses for relief from symptoms.
Kindly discuss regarding these options of treatment with your eye doctor.
Hope I have answered your query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Having vision flotters like little black linens and dots. What could it be?
- Diagnosed with optic pit in left eye. Having blurred vision. What would...
- Having myopia with spectacle. Is LASIK possible for me?
- Have keratoconus, undergone C3R procedure and suggested to wear...
- Have swollen eye lid. Painful while blinking and touching. Feel itchy....
- Told to have glaucoma, runs in family. Symptoms and treatment?
- Eyes feel tired all day. Feel itching in the night. What to do?
- Have stye on eye. Its painful and irritating. Cause and treatment?
- Have lot of itching in eyes, got swelling in eyes. Using neosprin...
- Experiencing horizontal and vertical diplopia, vision is loosing and...