Person has head, neck and abdomen injury with high blood

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Person has head, neck and abdomen injury with high blood pressure and low pulse. Is he bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on Ask a Doctor service!

I understand your concern and would explain that high blood pressure could lead to an increased risk of bleeding after a traumatic injury.

From the other hand, high blood pressure could be a consequence of traumatic injury due to the pain and stress.

But, you should know that during bleeding, there is loss of blood, which leads to low blood pressure and compensatory tachycardia ( high heart rate).

So, high blood pressure and low heart rate are not typical of bleeding.

Nevertheless, I recommend checking his complete blood count for anaemia and performing a brain CT scan to exclude intracranial bleeding.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj