Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

On 0.4mg urimax HS for mild prostatomegaly. Does the tablet urimax reduces the size of the prostate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
I am 70 year old . since 2 to 3 years i am passing the urine a little bit slowly and not forcefuly.Except this i have no other symptoms. Last year in May i have undergone an abdomen scan to see just how the organs are inside the stomach. Incidentally it was found mild prostatomegaly.So consulted the urologist. He did the rectal examination and said it is very mild and noted wsg as 27cc. He advised 0.4mg urimax HS. But i did not take the drug so far. The flow is as usual slow. My qeustion is do i have to take the drug even though i do not have any other symptoms? Is wsg 27cc is normal? Does the tablet urimax reduces the size of the prostate? Is tablet Veltam also a good drug?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Yes – the medicine is meant for this symptom of slow flow.
It will relax the smooth muscle of the bladder neck and prostate – thus resulting in improvement of the rate of urine flow.
It gives symptomatic relief only. It does NOT treat the prostate itself.

Veltam or Urimax both are different brand names of the SAME medicine - (Tamsulosin) – only the marketing companies and prices are different!

You should not alter your treatment of Pressure, Pre-diabetes and IHD

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: On 0.4mg urimax HS for mild prostatomegaly. Does the tablet urimax reduces the size of the prostate? 2 hours later
I did not get the answer for two questions.1. Do i have to take the medicine, even when there are no other symptoms and when there is no problem in passing the urine? Is wsg is normal or not?kindly advise
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Qn 1 – I answered this question rather indirectly - leaving the decision to you.
There are two classes of drugs – 1) Disease Modifying Drugs 2) Drugs giving symptomatic relief.
This drug does not modify the disease. It gives only symptom relief.

If you do not have symptoms / if you can bear with the symptoms – you need not take the medicine.
If you have symptoms (slow and forcibly) and want relief, you take the medicine.
If your problem is only slow flow detected by the urofloemetry, don’t take - wait and watch.
The choice is yours. No harm if you don’t take. No other benefit if you take.
In summary, 'when there are no other symptoms and when there is no problem in passing the urine' YOU NEED NOT TAKE THE MEDICINE
I hope I have answered your first question. Are you convinced?

Qn-2 – ‘wsg’ 27 is most likely to be typographical error. There is no such abbreviation and that is why the question was left unanswered. If you could scan the report and send, it can clarify the issue better.
Most likely, it is USG (UltraSonoGraphy). USG volume of 27 is just above normal. No need to do anything. The treatment is for the symptoms and is not related to the size of the prostate.
I hope I have answered your second question to your satisfaction.

All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor