Oddly, I guess, I'm doing what I can to bring

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Mon, 1 Apr 2019 in General Health
Question: Oddly, I guess, I'm doing what I can to bring on a migraine while in XXXXXXX (Better than 80% chance I'll get one when flying) I'm just wondering if whatever the buzztender ( yes, that's what they're called- sigh) recommended, if it doesn't work I want to be able to take my usual "cocktail" which is maxalt, Benadryl (IM) toradol (IM) and I take (a bunch of supplements too (I'm 60 yrs old) and I take topamax daily - lowest dose possible and found I need to take a week off every month due to side effects from it (Panic attacks) . My question is I've stopped the migraine meds and with flying into XXXXXXX tomorrow, returning Thurs (doctor's orders) and I'm from Utah (just allowed medical marijuana), I'm hoping it triggers one. Anyway, should nothing work, how soon may I take my regular migraine meds after cannabis ingestion (with THC- The oil I've tried - so, any idea what strain is best for migraines? My doctor and I are willing to jump thru' the hoops and maneuver the red tape here to get the health card, but we want to see if it works on me yet. I'm allergic to phenergan, Reglan, compazine and halydol.) Apologies, I am adding this- the Benadryl is 50 in a 1 ml, and toradol is 30 in 1 ml.
Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take migraine meds around 20 hours after THC ingestion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Migraine headaches can be difficult treat.

Marijuana can be one under-the-counter remedy for migraine relief.

But most studies haven't found solid proof of that.

So, I would recommend the cocktail of medication which will for sure treat the headache.

The duration of TCH in the system is around 20 hours.

So, after this period if you have a headache you may take your migraine medication.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T