Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Noticed small red pimple like bump on pubic area. Can't tell if it is an ingrown hair, pimple, or herpes?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
Can I send you a photo of my pubic area so you can examine it for herpes? I noticed a small red pimple like bump on my pubic area. I can't tell if it is an ingrown hair, pimple, or herpes? Please help.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 days later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for the bump over pubic region. It is sometimes really distressing for anyone to have anything unusual over genital region.

Now after reading your and seeing the picture thoroughly the first possibility I can make out is of simply “Folliculitis”.

Folliculitis is an inflammation or infection of the hair root with oil gland at the genital area. As we know that our genital area have lot of coarse hair and this area is always been closed, so there is always a chance of infection of hair root at this area due to in-growth of the hair.

It can further be aggravated by heat and humidity with sweating over this area. It is generally painful to begin with or has a feeling of discomfort. It generally begins as reddish dot and then can enlarge later on to form a whitish pimple kind of lesion. There may be blackish to brownish scab kind of thing present during healing phase. Generally it is present for 1-2 weeks of period with sensation of mild to moderate pain or irritation of variable nature.

There can be a second possibility of “Molluscum contagiousum”. Molluscum contagiousum is a type of viral infection caused by molluscum contagiosum virus. It appears as a simple whitish bead and when fully formed mimics a pearl like whitish bump with central indentation in it.

It is totally asymptomatic condition and never causes any discomfort. It is commonly seen after an unprotected sexual intercourse or sometime without this thing also. It remains from weeks to multiple months period of time and we can find similar such bumps on nearby areas also.

Now in your query you have not mentioned the exact time since the bump is present and any discomfort over it. In the picture the resolution is not proper when we enlarge it.
For the close possibility of the problem it would be better if you can re-upload a close picture of the area with good resolution. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your further queries. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). I hope this feature will help us better in resolving your problem.

Even then the first possibility I would like to keep is of “Follicultis” only. There is no possibility regarding herpes or any other sexually transmitted disease. So you should not be worried about the same.

Otherwise also there are certain suggestions which are applicable in nay of the condition:

- The most important thing you should do is to not touch, pinch, pop or squeeze the area by any means.

-Stay away from hot and humid climate.

-Take two times bath and maintain good hygiene.

-Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments and especially change the undergarments two times a day.

- You can do cold or warm water compresses over the affected area.

I can be able to comment best once I receive the good resolution close photograph sent by you and the information regarding time period and any discomfort over the area.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor