Noticed brown marks on the bottom of feet. Cause and cure?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi My daughter (2) has around four almost bright orange/ brown marks on the bottom of her feet. There is one on the bottom of her big toe and also the arch of her foot. It started last week with one XXXXXXX on the arch of her left foot and now there are at least four of them on both feet. They almost look like a bruise or like she has trodden in a brown/ orange marker pen. It doesn't seem to bother her and she is otherwise fit and well. No allergies or other complaints and acting normally. Help!
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 31 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are describing can be plantar keratoderma or pityriasis rubra pilaris.
These are disorders of keratinization of skin.

Treatment of this condition can be steroids,moisturizers and salicylic acid.

Also I would like to know-
Does she has any itching?
Do the spots change shape/do they remain static?
Does she have any patches over knee/elbow?
Do you or any family member have this kind of condition?

Can you upload the photos of the affected area.
2-3 good quality photos can be helpful.

Upload the photos and answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.

Regards.
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatology.