Suggest treatment for body rash

Dermatologist
Question
I broke out in full body rash in 24 hours what can be the cause doesn't itch feels like needles and pins and like I have the worst case of severe heat rash

Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload picture

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are having a severe rash.

With your history and description, I would consider the possibilities of Miliaria ( heat rash), drug rash and viral exanthem.

Could you give me a few clarifications so that I can assess better?

1. Did you have any fever in the last 1 week?

2. Have you taken any medications in the last 1 week?

3. Have you applied any new creams/ lotions?

4. Which are the body areas involved?

You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'

Please revert back.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for body rash 18 minutes later
Hi Doc,

No fever in the last week..my temp is normally low.. Very seldom do I ever get a fever. Even when I have tonsillitis to the extreme no fever was present...

I been taking mucinex D.. Twice a day for about a month now from a sinus headache and ear infection .. My right ear has been itching and draining like there is no tomorrow...

Difference soap but I never have had an allergy to soap...

The rash started on my finger Sunday afternoon at about 1pm I noticed felt like I touched something that I was dermitis on my hands ... Have had that before..

By today it all over my body my skin looks I have a bad case of prickly heat leg arms neck torso.. Hands too.. Feel like needles in them.. Body feels like a bad heat rash best I can describe it..

Any ideas as to what this could be? It doesn't itch... Just needles and pins and feels feverish.....

Are those pictures ok..

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Miliaria rubra

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I saw the attached clinical picture.

It is not very clear, but from what I can see, considering the extensive distribution, I would consider the diagnosis of " erythroderma". This means a rash or redness involving more or less the entire body.

The causes of erythroderma are many, most commonly eczema with dissemination, pityriasis rubra pilaris and psoriasis. With your background history, I would want to consider disseminated eczema as a possibility. It could also be an allergy to allergens you might have been exposed to like pollen/ cement dust/ weeds,etc.

I would also consider miliaria rubra or prickly heat. However, this does not involve the entire body, so I would keep it as a 2 nd possibility.

For symptomatic relief, you could apply 1 % Hydrocortisone cream which is available over the counter. You could continue taking benadryl.

However, this will require a proper assessment by a dermatologist. A skin biopsy maybe required for making a final diagnosis.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko