Noticed blood in bowel movement. What should I do?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: I went to poo this morning and my poo was soft not too runny i also seen bit of blood with my poo after a while my butt burn I had pile before
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
The most likely cause of the symptoms what you are experiencing is related to hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are swellings of veins in the area of the anus which can become sometimes painful and itchy. There can sometimes be a stinging sensation as well with bowel movements.

The best treatment for this usually includes a topical medication and possibly a suppository. I usually recommend a topical medication such as Preparation H. There are many different generic varieties of this medication. The main active ingredient is hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone service to decrease inflammation and help with the itching. In addition I usually recommend that patients with persistent symptoms use a suppository once or twice per month. This generally provides good results for these patients.

Along with this, some lifestyle measures also need to be incorporated.

1) A Normal American diet lacks right amount of fibre. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Be a smart grocer, choose foods which have fibre more than 25gm in the nutrition information label

2) You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids.

3) Application of local anesthetic gels and vaso constrictors like Preparation H are also useful.

4) However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy. Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.