Noticed black spots on tip of tongue. What could it be?

Dr. Geoffrey Ward

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I just noticed two small black spots on the tip of my tongue, what could this be
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 26 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your question.
In order to answer this more efficiently, I need to have a few questions answered:
1. What is your nationality?
2. What color is your skin?
3. Do you use tobacco products, drugs or alcohol?
4. Do you have a family history of any significant illnesses?
5. How long have the spots been there?
6. Is there any sensation associated with the spots?
7. Are you able to post a picture of the lesions on this site so I may look at them?

I am looking forward to helping you with the information I receive.

Dr. Ward
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Geoffrey Ward 3 hours later
Im african american, i smoke newports, i do drink 3times aweek, my tastebuds taste like a cross between metal and a scorched sensation, noticed the spots today around 530pm est, no family history, im going to try to post a picture, cant post a pic and doc i did not burn my tounge.
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 1 hour later
Thank you for your response.

Your skin has more melanin which is why you have darker skin. Most likely the darkness on your tongue is due to physiological pigmentation and is a benign entity. Another possibility is a reaction to the smoking and you have the beginning of the pathology known as hairy tongue. This is also benign and when the papilla on your tongue elongate and more keratin is present. This can appear as dark dots on your tongue. The other issue could be an irregularity in iron which can cause metallic taste and dark spots forming in your mouth. You could have trauma to your tongue that you simply do not remember or noticed and may clear up in a few days.

The metallic taste itself can be caused by: Improper oral hygiene or GERD (acid reflux).

Keep an eye on the lesions on your tongue, if they resolve, no worries. If they don't change, just keep an eye on them. If they increase in number or size, I would recommend going to your dentist to be evaluated. A quick biopsy could rule out any concerns you may have and give you a definitive answer what it could be.

If you can get a picture on here that would work out well. If you have any other questions or concerns I'll gladly address them with you. I am unable to diagnose you over the computer without seeing you in person and examining you. I can only give you a few ideas of what it could be and most likely it is benign.

Best regards

Dr. Ward

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E