Newborn undergone galactosemia test, report showed equivocal. What does this mean?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 23 days newly born baby girl has undergone Galactosemia Test with 12.61 mg/dL result where in normal range shows <10 mg/dL. Impression column in the report shows "Equivocal". Baby is feeding well and active for now. we did not find any problem in baby.please explain what actually "EquiVocal" means and how serious it is.
what is the next step to be taken by us.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Is it from the newborn screening test group which is done routinely for all newborns on the 5 the day by filter paper?

Secondly do you have an chid in your immediate family with galactosemia?

Do not worry.

Pl write to me when it was done, What was the feeds at that time,

and whether baby has any problems?

If it was routine test , it has to be repeated .

Equivocal means that something can not be excluded and at the same time it is not 100% sure of the illness also.
In other words doubtful validity.
Lab tests are a guide to diagnosis only but it always has to be interpreted in a proper way with clinical findings,symptoms and signs.
Lab errors are also common especially with filter paper samples as only 2-3 drops of blood from baby,s heel prick is tested for many conditions!

Kindly answer my quest ions and I will get back to you.
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Thanks for your quick response Dr. Uma.
Its from newborn screening test group which is done routinely for all newborns.this test was done on the 2nd of child birth by heel prick method.
we do not have any child in our immediate family with galactosemia.
Baby is doing fine as of now.. feeding well, she is active and no other problems or symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your reply.

The plan would be as follows.
You must urgently repeat the screening test once again.
It will be nice if thy can do a blood galactose level and also test for an enzyme called galactose -1- phosphate uridyl transferase level in blood.
The can be done in a well establishd lab your city.

The screening test can be repeated in the same lab through the doctor of your maternity hospital.

Let us wait for the repeat screening test and meanwhile you enquire about the other tests.

Follow up the results with the lab to get the results asap!

I hope and pray with you that it was a false positive result.!

Good luck
God bless

Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 9 hours later
Sure..We will repeat the screening test and get back to you with the results.
Thanks for your time and advise.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 6 hours later
OK ma, all the best.
Dr Uma