Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Need information on the musculoskeletal changes in the human body from childhood to adulthood

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 2416 Questions
An adult has 206 bones in his/her body. How does the musculoskeletal system change from birth to adulthood? What are the steps that the system goes through from childhood to adulthood to reach 206 bones?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 22 minutes later

Thanks for your query.I will try my best to explain you.

There are a total of 206 bones in a human body and it includes a small bone which is present inside the XXXXXXX ear of a person.
The bones are not perfectly formed as there is a gap between then and they are just maintained in place with help of muscles and ligaments as in a small child.
Slowly as the child grows the bones;muscles;ligaments increase in size gradually till the child achieves a certain age.
Depending upon the development and the age of the child one by one the bones start getting fused;the muscles increase accordingly and the gap is closed.
The last fusion of the bones take place in females around 18 yrs and in male child around 21 yrs.By this age the development of the body gets completed.
After this time there is no increase in hieght as the gap closes and no extension is possible.
This is just a short summary of what happens in a human life during his growth years.
For detailed study regarding the growth you can contact your family physician and discuss it and even get a book of Human anatomy where in there will be a detailed description of the growth of musculoskeletal system.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor