My mom is 93. Has CHF and weak venus, and

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
My mom is 93. Has CHF and weak venus, and has developed stasis dermatitis on left foot and leg .Some sores and itching. 2 blister like lesions developed on calf and they broke on their own, leaving open skin. Shes using betamethazone on leg but what should we use on blister after it breaks? What else can we do? Should she wear suport stockins even after blister breaks???
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use a topical antibiotic for broken skin

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

She may use a topical antibiotic e.g Mupirocin 2 %ointment, for the broken skin. Yes, she should wear support stocking till the blister heals or else it may not heal.

Follow-up: My mom is 93. Has CHF and weak venus, and 1 hour later
Dr, should she put a Gause bandage over the broken blister before using support stockings or leave gauze off of it and put on stockings over broken blister?? Does walking help??

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding venous ulcer

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, do put a paraffin gauze dressing over the ulcer before putting the stocking. The dressing would be protective.
She should sleep with the leg end of her bed elevated slightly so as to aid venous circulation and avoid pooling of blood.
Can walk a little but always with stocking. Walking too much and keeping legs in dependent position for too long is not advisable in patients of varicose veins as it would cause gravitational venous pooling and be counterproductive.