question-icon

My Mom Has Been To The Doctor And Has Had

Posted on Thu, 23 Aug 2018
Question: My mom has been to the doctor and has had a persistent sore throat now for about two months she is 64 she was originally put on antibiotics for this but had not worked now she had been back to doctors who have given her another type of antibiotic to try. However as I have been concerned about her I asked her to have a throat swab which today we have found out has came back normal saying no antibiotic required. Really slightly confused now also to mention the nurse who did the throat Swab told us mum throat looked sore with the left tonsil had a nodule on confused as to what this means. Mom also stated she has felt the feeling of this lump in her throat would this be caused by this tonsil . Please help
Answered by Dr. Dr. Klarida Papaqako (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Possible diagnoses explained.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

What you are describing seems like your mother might have a tonsilar stone. They develop by foods accumulating in the folds of the tonsil. They cause a sore throat and bad smell from the mouth. But if that is the case, then the white stone would be visible, or palpable. In general, it will fall away after doing gargles with salt for some days.

Since you can check and examine your mother you can tell better then me if that is the case with your mother.

If not, then another option that can be is postnasal drip. This applies if she has a runny nose or a blocked nose. What happens then is that especially during the night, the secretions fall from the back of the nose to the throat, irritate it and cause inflammation and ache.

If this doesn't apply too, then an exam with the specific focus on that lump would be needed by an ENT specialist. It can be a lymph node, it can be a bone structure or it can be a tumor. Only further examination and tests can tell which is the diagnoses and then give the proper treatment.

Hope this is helpful and I have answered your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Dr. Klarida Papaqako