My husband has either bronchitis or pluresy. Can you tell

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 25 Mar 2019 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My husband has either bronchitis or pluresy. Can you tell me the best way to take care of him....my understanding is plenty of rest, keep him hydrated, and what else do you suggest? Possible antihistimines?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should help. But seeing a doctor might be important

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I would need to ask why exactly you think that your husband has any of these? I assume that he has noisy breathing. But that could arise from a number of underlying factors. His chest needs to be listened to and that will help in identifying a number of factors. For example, there could be an associated lower respiratory tract infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics, especially if the respiratory rate is high. There could be wheeze/rhonchi/rales which may call for nebulization with bronchodilators. Although he needs rest and proper hydration, these might not be enough and you should see a doctor for the same.

Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic/antihistamine medication. Cetirizine is an over the counter medicine that can be used. You also need to give him steam inhalation. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

I hope that I could clear your doubts. Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj