question-icon

My daughter has lost some weight shes about 5'3" and

Posted on Tue, 19 Feb 2019
Question: My daughter has lost some weight shes about 5'3" and weighs about 101LBS 17 yrs old. She just expressed concerns to me because she just got out of the shower and noticed some strands of hair that came off as she showered which alarmed her because it was more than usual. A few months ago she also broke out in a rash from what I think was hands mouth and feet. Any advice I'd appreciate it.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Loss of upto 150 hair per day is considered normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to ask a doctor service
I have gone through your query.
Loss of hair upto 150 hairs per day is normal.
Anything above that is considered abnormal.
If this is the first time she has noticed hair loss and less than 150 per day, then there is nothing to worry about.
Sometimes hair loss is associated with significant weight loss or fevers like typhoid.
This type of hair loss is called telogen effluvium and it resolves on its own in 4-6 months.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to answer any further queries.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist