My dad had a brain MRI done to rule out

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
My dad had a brain MRI done to rule out dementia. He has significant short term memory issues and has gone from being a pretty nice man to cantankerous and difficult over the last 5 yrs or so.

The MRI indicates that he has “moderate involutional changes of the brain parenchyma”. Does this support a diagnosis of dementia or is it normal brain atrophy of an elderly person?
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Involutional changes don't mean necessary dementia.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Mild to moderate involutional changes may be seen in elderly people, they don't mean necessary dementia.

Dementia is a diagnosis achieved mainly clinically.

Neuropsychological tests are necessary to evaluate the current cognitive function.

Discuss with your father's Neurologist about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.