My baby girl is only 6 days old. She pees

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2019 in Child Health
Question: My baby girl is only 6 days old. She pees in the morning, we observed it yesterday and today, she is not frequently urinating. Her Mother XXXXXXX had C-Section. So she is expressing her milk to a bottle and baby is taking the milk from bottle with nipple. Her feeding is good, She was weighing 2.86kg when born and now she is 2.49kg.
We have been waiting her to pee almost from last 5 hours, we are not using diaper to ensure we are not wrong. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Arun 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep feeding her more frequently

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It is normal for babies to lose upto ten percent of the birth weight in the first week of life.
In your childs case it is more than that.
My suggestion
1. Try feeding more frequently. Say every one or two hours.
2. If there is not sufficient milk production, can add formula milk if still urine output is low and mother milk output doesn't improve in a day.
3. Any standard formula can be given stage 1.
4. Ensure baby passes urine more frequently.
Followup with your Pediatrician and get baby examined if still urine output is less.
No need to use diaper.
8 to 10 times peeing per day should be ensured with either mother milk or formula so that weight loss doesn't get worse.
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana