Lack of balance, wobbly gait, and just falling have been
Can be narcolepsy, cataplexy
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
The dizzy fall and no warning fall seem cataplxy. Body slam seems to be narcoplexy or some type of epilepsy. Cerebellar disorders need to be ruled out.
It is good that a scan is planned. A sleep study and EEG is also helpful, especially when conducted during an episode.
Kindly let me know how this problem started? Are you on any medicines?
You are the first to mention these two possibilities and they seem very likely to be the problem. What kind of doctor should I go to?
Two possibilities are there
I have studied your case from previous queries.
Either its some combination of cataplexy/narcoplexy/epilepsy. Or its ataxia/dysarthria from use of medicines/cervical surgery/cerebellum problems. Most likely its combination of both i.e ataxia/medicine exacerbating cataplexy.
Scan will help find any cerebellar problems
EEG will help detect any epilepsy
Sleep study will help detect any cataplexy/naroplexy.
Since previous scans didn't show anything, its probably not related to any cerebellar issues.
A neurologist is best able to deal with the problem. If neurologist is not available, then a family physician can also deal with it. They usually prescribe anti-depressants for cataplexy. They have not found a cure for it.
My suggestion is as follows:
- Drink cleaner water with lowest TDS to prevent any ear, nose, throat infections that may spread to brain
- Do alternate nostril breathing to help clear nasal blocks and also increase air supply to lungs and brain. Deep breathing/breathing exercises should also help.
- Keep the medicines for RLS to the minimum possible as these can exacerabate ataxia
- Take precautions for the falls and injuries. Extra medicine doesnot seem necessary. Can consult neurologist for further consultation about the problem.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further doubts about it.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...
- Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...
- Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?
- Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...
- Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...
- Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...
- Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...
- What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?
- Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...
- Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...