I've been on lisinipril for several years now. I've noticed

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 17 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I've been on lisinipril for several years now. I've noticed my pulse rate has dropped about 15 beats from my usual average. My systolic rate has increased and my diastolic seems to have remained about the same.
This morning it was 174/84 Pulse of 68.
My pulse is normally in the mid- to high 80's. And, the lisinipril has been controlling the HBP.
Wasn't sure if I should be immediately concerned with this change. I do have a regular Dr appt scheduled for the 18th.
Thank you,
Susan
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
I also have a not necessarily sharp pain running along both of my shoulders, starting in my neck. It is consistent.
I've had this before but it is usually when I'm doing any activity.

My father had HBP and passed away from a massive heart attack. So, things of this nature always alarm me.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that these changes in your heart rate are not related to Lisinopril.

You should know that Lisinopril acts mainly on the blood pressure values, but it does not have any effects on the heart rate.

As your blood pressure values are above the normal ranges, it seems that Lisinopril is not very successful in controlling high blood pressure values.

The sharp pain in the shoulders, which is triggered by physical activity seems to be related to a musculo-skeletal pain.

Gastro-esophageal reflux can not be excluded either.

For this reason, I would recommend performing a chest X ray study and a cervico-thoracic spine X ray study.

In the meantime, I would recommend taking acetaminophen and an anti-acid or PPI (omeprazole) to help reduce the pain.

There is no reason to panic about any heart attack, because your symptoms are not typical of this disorder.

Anyway, an exercise cardiac stress test would help exclude any cardiac issues and put your mind to peace.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist