Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Itchy vagina, tender, red bump, full of blood, painful

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I am a female and im 18 years old. A couple days ago, my "private area" started getting really itchy and a little tender. I looked down there to check to see if I could find any symptoms of a yeast infection. Instead what I found was a small red bump just inside my vagina. Its very small and looks like its full of blood. It does not look like a pimple, and it isnt as big as a pimple. It is itchy and very uncomfortable, it is starting to hurt now. Should I be worried?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Let me first provide you with what I believe is going on. You might be experiencing what is called a 'Bartholin's cyst'. This is a small cyst which can develop inside the vagina. This cyst occurs in a tiny gland which secretes lubricant type of fluid in a vagina. On occasion this gland can become clogged. Then with clogging it can create an inflammatory response with more swelling and some discomfort.

As far as what I would recommend, I think you should start first by doing some warm baths three times per day for the next 3 to 5 days. Soaking in a warm bath will help decrease the inflammation and will help the system possibly open and drain. Occasionally if this is becomes more painful or bothersome you may need to see your doctor who can make a tiny incision and drain the fluid.

What you're describing is not a sexually transmitted infection and it is not life-threatening or worrisome. I recommend you to do what I have advised and if the symptoms do not improve within three or four days you might make an appointment with your doctor for an examination.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope my response has served to be helpful informative and reassuring. If you have any additional questions I am always here for you.


Dr. Robert.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor