Is there a test for adrenal fatigue?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Is there any testing that is done to check for adrenal fatigue? If so is a blood draw or a saliva test more accurate for this and any type of possible hormone imbalance ? I know have a higher than normal tsh at 5.179. Thank You
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Saliva test is more accurate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Rkbean2
Thanks for writing to HCM

Adrenal gland produces a variety of hormones such as cortisol,DHEA and adrenaline etc.
The most accurate way to assess adrenal function is through a saliva test.There are also other ways to assess adrenal function and it includes blood tests and through hair tissue mineral analysis.These methods don’t give exact cortisol and DHEA values.Blood tests can measure adrenal hormones but saliva hormones are considered better due to the fact that saliva hormones are free-fractioned.

Treatment depend upon findings.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 5 minutes later
Thank you very much for your response. what is a treatment if you do have adrenal fatigue and does the hypothyroid factor in to this anywhere? Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Rkbean2
Thanks for writing back

Patient's with adrenal fatigue need external supplementation which are lacking in the tests.

Many hypothyroid symptoms are so similar to adrenal fatigue that the two are often confused or misdiagnosed.
Low adrenal function can actually cause worsening of thyroid problems.

Firstly diagnosis should be confirmed and treat accordingly.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX