Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Is taking human growth hormone treatment for 21 year old safe?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 84 Questions
Should my 21 year old son be taking human growth harmons. He is 5' - 9" and weighs 119 lbs. In high school his leg was X-ray for a possible broken bone. (no broken bone) They reported at that time that his growth plates had not closed. He just finished his sophmore year of college and hasn't grown any since early high school. He seems very healthy.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

According to the CDC growth charts, your son's height falls slightly below the 50th percentile and his weight falls just above the 25th percentile.

It is important to understand here that percentiles are the normal variations in a particular population. Hence, as such, your son's height and weight do fall within the normal range.

His body mass index suggests that he is slightly underweight. The ideal weight for his height would be at least 125 pounds. This can be achieved by increasing his overall calorie intake.

Human growth hormone treatment is indicated in adults only when there is a documented growth hormone deficiency. The purpose of therapy is to replace endogenous growth hormone.

If you have concerns regarding your son's growth, it is advisable to consult your doctor. He/she may order an appropriate growth hormone provocative test which can either confirm or rule out growth hormone deficiency.

Treatment with human growth hormone is advisable only if there is a documented growth hormone deficiency.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor