Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Is sympathetictomy surgery possible for c-5 quadriplegic injury?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6940 Questions
I am a c-5 quadriplegic and have been one for 30 years. I have been in pain the whole time. I have been on a lot of pain meds and not much helps. years ago a dr told me of a procedure called a sympathetictomy and that they don't do them at the mayo clinci where I have been treated since I got hurt. is there anyplace in mn that will do one. I am suicidal at this point and want some relief. please help me.
morrie karsetn
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Conservative tt ineffective, surgical tt required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

The intractable pain can be treated by conservative measures and surgical measures.
Conservative measures include pain killers and surgical treatment consists of sympathetictomy.
You have mentioned that you have taken many pain killers for the condition but without any relief.
When conservative treatment becomes ineffective, surgical treatment is indicated.
Thus, surgery will only help at this point.

I suggest you to your nearest pain management clinic for further management.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor