Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

144 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is swelling in the shinbone after an injury indicative of a blood clot?

Answered by
Dr. Monish De


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1802 Questions

Posted on Wed, 31 Oct 2018 in Blood Disorders
Question: I am 43 years old was playing football an myself ad another guy some how crashed our shins together. this was about a month ago. where I hit it on my leg was my right shin just to the left of center 3" above ankle. it hurt bad for about 3 weeks but pain is minimal now but still swells after I get home from work. when I get off it and elevate it the swelling goes down and returns to normal. where it was struck is still a tender lump. when it swells starts just under calf but mostly in foot below sock. do I need to be worried about a blood clot?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Doppler ultrasound of your right leg recommended.

Detailed Answer:


I have gone through your attached picture.

As you were hit on your leg right shin just to the left of centre 3" above the ankle and it has swelling and there is tender lump I think there are chances of a blood clot as the area has swelling, reddish discolouration and is tender.

I would recommend you treat it at the earliest because it can lead to complications such as the blood clot can break away and travel to the lungs leading to serious a more serious condition called pulmonary embolism which can lead to severe breathing problem.

For that, I will advise you to do an urgent doppler ultrasound of your right leg.

If the ultrasound confirms a formation of blood clot then it has to be treated with low molecular weight heparin injections.

You can consult your local doctor for it.

I will also advise you to adopt an anti-inflammatory diet high in omega 3 rich foods, fruits and vegetables and also foods rich in vitamin E.

You should make a point to get up regularly and walk around if you sit for long periods at a desk or if you travel frequently.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr Monish De, Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on