Is swelling in the shinbone after an injury indicative of a blood clot?
Doppler ultrasound of your right leg recommended.
I have gone through your attached picture.
As you were hit on your leg right shin just to the left of centre 3" above the ankle and it has swelling and there is tender lump I think there are chances of a blood clot as the area has swelling, reddish discolouration and is tender.
I would recommend you treat it at the earliest because it can lead to complications such as the blood clot can break away and travel to the lungs leading to serious a more serious condition called pulmonary embolism which can lead to severe breathing problem.
For that, I will advise you to do an urgent doppler ultrasound of your right leg.
If the ultrasound confirms a formation of blood clot then it has to be treated with low molecular weight heparin injections.
You can consult your local doctor for it.
I will also advise you to adopt an anti-inflammatory diet high in omega 3 rich foods, fruits and vegetables and also foods rich in vitamin E.
You should make a point to get up regularly and walk around if you sit for long periods at a desk or if you travel frequently.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Monish De, Oncologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes acid reflux post normal upper endoscopy?
- Suggest treatment for stage 3 non small cell lung cancer
- Suggest treatment for ovarian cancer
- What causes chronic abdominal pain, nausea and fatigue?
- What causes swelling in armpit,collar bone ,face and hair loss?
- Suggest alternatives to chemotherapy for gall bladder cancer?
- Is esophogeal cancer a slow growing cancer?
- Suggest treatment plan when suffering with breast cancer
- Suggest treatment for melanoma
- What are symptoms of leukemia and lyphoma?