question-icon

Is surgery necessary for the effective treatment of sino-nasal polyposis?

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018
Question: Hi,

I would like a second opinion on Surgery for Sino-nasal Polyposis. The ENT specialist I visited used an endoscope to show polyps right inside the nostrils and suggested that this is just an edge of polyps growth. Per the Dr., this growth is quite possibly on my entire paranasal cavity (including near eyebrows). Though I understand his opinion would quite possibly be correct, I would like to know if the medication alone would be sufficient take care of this or I must go for surgery. Also, I would like to know if at all this would be recurring in nature and only surgery is permanent solution. (Pending NCCT Scan and Allergy Test)
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:

Nasal polyposis

Detailed Answer:

The treatment for nasal polyps is endoscopic sinus surgery. Medical management will only help with symptoms.

The relief will be there with medicines to some extent but surgery is definitely required. It is the only ultimate treatment.

The chances of recurrence are very low with proper removal.
It would be better to suggest you further only once I get to see the Ct paranasal sinuses pictures.

You can even send me the endoscopy pictures if available.
Please tell me what medicines have you been taking so far?

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Priyanka Aggarwal, ENT Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist