Is strenuous activity safe with a first degree AV block and PR wave levels of 214?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 8 Oct 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My son’s ekg showed r first degree AV block. PR wave is 214 which is higher than normal. 120-200 is normal. Can he do physically demanding job? He is 24 yrs old.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

After going through the medical details provided of your son I completely understand your concern for his health and well-being.

Though all can do all the required daily physical activities and physical exertion, it’s important to evaluate him a bit more to make sure this 1 AV block doesn’t progress on extreme physical stress.

The evaluation is essential before we give consent to his physically demanding activities.

So in my opinion it’s advisable to get an echocardiogram and a TMT test done to make sure things are fine.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 59 minutes later
EKG Test (Refer Attachment).

I sent you and ekg from another doctor without explanation. I asked your professional advise if you can read it.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Hello Again

Detailed Answer:

Ma'am the EKG image which you have uploaded is not of good quality and it's just two lead ECG in which even the PR interval also doesn't look convincingly prolonged to call it as 1 degree AV block.

Either kindly upload a better quality 12 lead EKG image and if you don't have one then it's advisable to get one done for proper opinion.

Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.

I need the answer for the pre op
From the hospital.
1 What does that read?
2 Is that enough information that he’s healthy enough for a surgery?
3What are the numbers? PR QRS etc.
4 if it were your son would this EKG satisfy you?
5. Is this acceptable? Because it’s a hospital.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 8 hours later
Brief Answer:

Hello Again

Detailed Answer:

As I said earlier, the ECG images which you are attaching are simply some ECG monitor strip totally inadequate for giving a fitness consent for surgery. A 12 lead ECG is a must.

However, the 2 leads of ECG's in the images are normal sinus rhythm.

PR less Than 200ms
Qrs Interval is around 90 ms, both within normal limits.

If I would have been at your place I would definitely have gone for a full 12 lead ECG and an echo/TMT before going for surgery (If it is some major surgical procedure).

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana