Is slight swelling in the anterior fontanel of a child's head after an accidental trauma dangerous?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello, I’m very scared right now because I was playing with my 6 month old baby and he likes being lifted up high. I accidentally lifted him and hit his head on a light fixture/small chandelier. I’m no exactly sure what part of the head hit him but he didn’t cry and seems fine. Few hrs later, I noticed his anterior Fontanel seems a little elevated now whereas before it was a little sunken. I don’t see any red marks either. Is there anything wrong that could happen?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem to be a cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I do not suppose that the child would not gone into incessant crying if his head was accidentally hit hard, especially if it were hard enough to cause internal bleeding severe enough to make the fontanel bulge. I therefore do not see a cause of concern.

If 'head injury' occurs, it will not be without manifestations. The main concern could be the ominous signs of head injury which are:
* Vomiting
* Severe headache as manifested by incessant crying
* Altered consciousness or Loss of consciousness
* Convulsions

I assume that none of these have occurred. Unless any of these are present you need not worry. If any of these occur, you would need to get a CT scan of the brain done.

Give Paracetamol or Acetaminophen in case the child is irritable due to pain.

Let me know if I could help further.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng