Is recurrent abdominal pain after abrupt discontinuation of vitamin B complex and probiotics normal?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi Dr XXXXXXX

I am taking the B complex and Probiotics. I began to feel better and within 3 days had much improved - at a week had nearly no pain. Two days ago I started weaning myself off the IBS pills and the pains started coming back. I guess I should go back on them, do you think? Any other advice?
thanks
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don’t stop medications on your own.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query Mr XXXXXXX
Good to hear thst you responded to medications.
Dear patient i would suggest you to use probiotic(VSL# 3 twice daily) and B complex once daily for 2 weeks initialy.Once you start getting better don’t stop it on your own.Inform me and i would suggest you what to do.
When you are almost 90% better we would taper VSL# 3 from twice to once daily.
Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T