question-icon

Is post herpetic neuralgia contagious?

Posted on Wed, 1 Feb 2017
Question: Is postherpetic neuralgia conageous?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You are not contagious.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Sorry you continue to have pain from your shingles. Post herpetic neuralgia is not contagious. And shingles is not contagious after the blisters crust over. Whether shingles is actually contagious during the active blistering phase is questionable. In theory it seems as though it would be, but there aren't studies to show that anyone has caught the virus from someone with shingles.

Are you being treated for the postherpetic neuralgia? I've had success treating people who have this with low dose amitriptyline. Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant that acts on the nerve-muscle junctions.

There are other treatments for it too.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh