Is post herpetic neuralgia contagious?
You are not contagious.
Sorry you continue to have pain from your shingles. Post herpetic neuralgia is not contagious. And shingles is not contagious after the blisters crust over. Whether shingles is actually contagious during the active blistering phase is questionable. In theory it seems as though it would be, but there aren't studies to show that anyone has caught the virus from someone with shingles.
Are you being treated for the postherpetic neuralgia? I've had success treating people who have this with low dose amitriptyline. Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant that acts on the nerve-muscle junctions.
There are other treatments for it too.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Natural remedies for post herpetic neuralgia
- Post herpetic neuralgia causes
- Drugs/medication for post herpetic neuralgia
- Diagnosis of post herpetic neuralgia
- Headache post herpetic neuralgia
- Treatment and cure for post herpetic neuralgia
- Symptoms of post herpetic neuralgia
- Guaifenesin, claritin, post herpetic neuralgia
- Pain relief for post herpetic neuralgia
- Cymbalta for post herpetic neuralgia
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis