Is pain in toes a symptom of myelofibrosis?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: THINK I HAVE GOUT IN BOTH BIG TOES AND WANTED TO KNOW IF THIS COULD BE A SIGN OF MYLOFIBROSIS GIVEN I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MAYBE HAVING ESSENTIAL THROMBRO. 10 YEARS AGO BUT DOC WAS NOT QUITE SURE GIVEN MY PLATELET NUMBERS GOUT SYMPTOMS ARE ONLY SYMPTOMS., AND WONDERING IF THIS IS A SIGN OF MYLOFIBROSIS
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not a sign of myelofibrosis. Gout needs to be investigated. Follow pr

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Do you have any bone pain in the spine, breast bone, limbs ?

Are you anemic ?

Have you lost weight of feel weak recently ?

Usually myelofibrosis is associated with severe anaemia, weakness, liver and spleen enlargement and abdominal distension.

It does not cause pain in the toes because that is not or very very rarely affected in myelofibrosis or related disorders.

It is possible that you may be having Gout due to increased Uric acid in the blood. Avoid eating meat, chicken, meat or chicken gravies, Spinach, avocado, fish, beer or alcohol, smoking. Drink plenty of water.

Get tested for Serum uric acid. Avoid wearing hard footwear, apply ice to the painful regions, keep the limbs elevated. Take Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for 5 days. Get an Xray of the toes and feet as well.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar