Is occasional alcohol consumption safe when diagnosed with PBC?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I was recently diagnosed with PBC and began taking Urisidiol about a week ago. I also take Metformin to help control diabetes. My gastro dr said I could continue drinking alcohol because I dont drink often, maybe a drink in 2 weeks when out to dinner with friends. My GP said I shouldn't have ANY alcohol at all. It's not like I have to drink, so I won't if I can"t, but it would be nice every once in a while.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol on social outings is acceptable!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

Alcohol on social outings is totally acceptable. There is no reason to be worried about this. However, if you choose not to drink it is even better. The fear is that PBC impacts the liver and alcohol, too. Therefore, if you can completely eliminate any potential harm from alcohol, that would be superbe.

In all, alcohol on social outings is permissible.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 minutes later
So is the advice against alcohol while taking Metformin limit the effectiveness of the Uridisiol or is the concern about the alcohol negatively impacting the liver itself?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol will affect the liver!

Detailed Answer:

Am more concerned about the effects on the liver than the interactions with the medications.

Let me know if you have more concerns.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 minutes later
I tried to find something online about the interaction of Metformin with Urosidiol and I cant find anything.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No interactions exist between these medications.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed these drugs individually and collectively thoroughly and there are no interactions between these medications. There is no need getting too worried about a possible interaction between them.

I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YOu are welcome!

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome. I wish you well.