Is noticing a very dark blood while clearing the nose requires medical attention?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Dr.,

For the past week, I've had a what I believe is a bloody nose, mainly just in my right nostril. What is worrisome, however, is that the blood is turned very dark, almost black. No mucous or blood is coming out or running down of the nostril on its own. I only notice usually after a shower when clearing my nose or using a tissue periodically throughout the day. I will also note that it has been very dry where I live, so I do not know if that is a factor. I am mainly concerned at the darkness level of the dried nasal mucous and for how long it has manifested. Please let me know if this is normal for dry weather or if I should seek an additional medical exam or care.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Epistaxis for evaluation

Detailed Answer:

I can certainly understand your concern.

I have worked through your attached query in detail.

As per your symptoms that are collectively referred to as Epistaxis. One of the most common cause is septal deviation of nose or associated pansinusitis.

It's advisable to consider screening through HRCT SCAN OF PARANASAL SINUSES for the same. Further management ( medical vs surgical ) are based on test results.

Review with reports to determine further course of action.

Meanwhile I would like to prescribe a short course Antibiotics like Amoxyclav to improve your symptoms. Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Take care,
Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T