Is nipple piercing an effective treatment for inverted nipples?

Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Cancer
Question: I had breast cancer in left breast. My nipple is still inverted and requires extra effort to become stimulated. I was thinking a nipple piercing might help. Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Breast piercing

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking,

The nipple piercing may help to some point having better esthetic result to your breast

In any case, if you do choose to pierce, it’s especially important to take an active role in your own breast health.

Also, it'll be important to keep an eye out for any possible symptoms of infection or abscess and be sure to complete regular breast self-exams.

Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 23 minutes later
You didn't answer the question. Would a piercing help increase sensitivity to my breast by bringing out the inverted nipple and making it more sensitive.

Of course I would have to watch for any infections etc. Since you are an oncologist, do you see any issue from the cancer treatment associated with breast cancer ( I had the usual- surgery, chemo, radiation)

Finally, any reference for a piercing for survivors like me.
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Breast pirsing

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The pricing would not helps you to increase sensitivity or bring out the inverted nipple

There are no data that may be against pirsing in breast cancer survivors,also
there are no references to the role of pirsing and the benefits in what you are looking for
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng