Is lower backache indicative of arthritis?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 in Back Pain
Question: How can I tell if my lower back pain is arthritis or muscular, and what exercises, etc. should I do?
If I bend a certain way (i.e. to pick up something to the right and on the floor, I can barely stand up. If I sleep on my stomach - even briefly - I can barely walk. Of course, I try not to do so.
The pain goes away as I hold my back and slowly walk it off.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:

MRI scan will help in diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:

The lower back pain that you are having can be due to a muscle spasm or arthritis. To differentiate between the two you can get an MRI scan of the lower back done.

Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:

1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.

2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation.

3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need a proper prescription from your doctor.

4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain: It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact Physiotherapist regarding this.

It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine.

5) Epidural Steroid Injections - deliver steroids directly into the painful area of the lower back to reduce inflammation. It doesn't heal the components of the back, but often provide enough pain relief to allow patients to move, exercise and heal.

The pain that you are having can be due to a muscle spasm or arthritis. To differentiate

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon