Is lower backache indicative of arthritis?
If I bend a certain way (i.e. to pick up something to the right and on the floor, I can barely stand up. If I sleep on my stomach - even briefly - I can barely walk. Of course, I try not to do so.
The pain goes away as I hold my back and slowly walk it off.
MRI scan will help in diagnosis.
The lower back pain that you are having can be due to a muscle spasm or arthritis. To differentiate between the two you can get an MRI scan of the lower back done.
Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:
1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.
2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation.
3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need a proper prescription from your doctor.
4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain: It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact Physiotherapist regarding this.
It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine.
5) Epidural Steroid Injections - deliver steroids directly into the painful area of the lower back to reduce inflammation. It doesn't heal the components of the back, but often provide enough pain relief to allow patients to move, exercise and heal.
The pain that you are having can be due to a muscle spasm or arthritis. To differentiate
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Lower backache and rectum pressure
- Lower backache and abdominal cramping
- Lower backache muscle spasm headache
- Lower backache and out of breath
- Lower backache and dizzy
- Lower backache dzzy low fever
- Suggest treatment for lower backache
- Blood test for lower backache
- Lowere backache after miscarriage
- Lower backache kidney and nausea
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?