Is loosing consciousness normal during a stroke?

Excellent

Neurologist
Question
My friend, age 21, with a family history of strokes, suffered a stroke tonight. She complained of a headache just before she lost the ability to recognize people. She is now on a ventilator, and is unconscious....is the unconsciousness normal?
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the reports

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Stroke in young is due to different risk factors as commonly encountered in adult and elderly.

Possibility of vasculopathy, vascular malformations and aneursym should be evaluated. Family history suggest possibility of genetic disorder related to vasculopathy.
Unconsciousness usually occurs depending upon area and extent of involvement.
Please upload any reports if available.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar

Follow-up: Is loosing consciousness normal during a stroke? 8 minutes later
I am impatient, but answering whether being unconscious without being in a drug induced unconscious state is a normal situation or not should not take this long.

Since the stroke just occured about 4 hours ago, I don't know the extent of involvement, but I do know the right side of the brain is being affected. Does that help?

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unconsciousness can be due to stroke and drug intake too

Detailed Answer:
Involvement of any side of brain with moderate ti large area of involvement can cause unconsciousness.
Intake of drugs or alcohol can cause precipitate stroke and lead to unexplained unconsciousness even in small stroke.
Any such intake should be informed to treating doctor.
Management may differ.
Dr N Kumar