Is it normal to have severe muscle spasm in the hip and thigh, and around knee after hip replacement?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Tue, 10 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Have hip and knee arthritis with impending hip replacement. Having severe muscle spasms in hip and thigh muscles and muscles around knee. Is this normal or something to get checked out sooner?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Arthritis

Detailed Answer:

Is this first time you have these kinds of spasms ? It's common to hear such complaints for people due for replacement. However there are other issues that cause similar issues like dehydration, glucose issues, electrolyte imbalance.
If the current problem is impacting your daily routine then I suggest to get it addressed by your doctor for anti spasm medicines. Till then alternating cold n hot packs over those muscles would definitely ease pain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj