Is it normal for blood pressure to fluctuate?
I also take metformin for diabetes. My last A1C was 5.1
I would explain as follows:
Welcome back on HCM!
I passed carefully through your recent medical history and would like to explain that your clinical symptomatology seems likely to be caused by what is called orthostatic intolerance, a disorder that is more frequent to diabetic individuals.
The most common expression of orthostatic intolerance is orthostatic hypotension, that is excessive decrease in blood pressure with standing upright.
It is true that any acute inflammation/infection (including flu) may exacerbate orthostatic hypotension due to underlying dehydration they tend to produce.
But, let me explain that in your case there are additional important reasons why the situations is more aggravated.
You are using a water pill (Demadex, that is a potent loop diuretic leading to important water loss).
From the other side, your are being treated with Elavil (amitriptyline) and Abilify (aripiprazole), which both can lead to orthostatic hypotension, besides being able to produce important sedation.
It is for the above mentioned reasons, you are experiencing a more severe form of orthostatic hypotension while are also treated for hypertension.
Coming to this point, I recommend discussing with your prescribing doctor to find a more appropriate strategy of the ongoing therapy (possibly avoiding such a tough drugs combination).
Hope to have been helpful to you!
In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Blood pressure fluctuations 13894
- Fluctuating blood pressure halter
- Normal blood pressure by age
- Causes of blood pressure fluctuations
- Normal blood pressure range
- Blood pressure fluctuates a lot
- Symptoms of Fluctuating blood pressure
- Diagnosis of Fluctuating blood pressure
- Fibromyalgia and fluctuating blood pressure
- Blood pressure fluctuations chart
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?