Is it fine to take a normal dose of vitamin D3 supplement as I work in night shifts with least exposure to sunlight?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I have never checked my Vitamin D3 levels but I work in night shifts and I am least exposed to sunlight. I believe that it is always good to take D3 supplements regularly so that any existing D3 deficiency is eliminated.
Can you please suggest if I can start taking a normal dose of D3 supplements? and if yes then which one do you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood test must be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. It can accumulate in body and cause toxicity if taken excessively.

Therefore it is advisable to first document if there is a deficiency or not. Then only you can take vitamin D supplements.

There are some low dose calcium and vitamin D combinations (like Osteocalcium tablets) that people take daily for prolonged periods. Mostly these do not cause problems. But when tests are available for low costs, why take the risk.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee