Is it a matter of concern to feel a pulsating sensation in the stomach while having hypertension?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been to many doctors and even asked on here. Back in August I started feeling a pulsing in my digestive system, almost like a heart beat. I went to the hospital with elevated blood pressure last week (184/104) Never high in my life. I have seen many doctors in many fields and everyone thinks it is "anxiety" I keep thinking it is something physical they can't figure out. Currently taking ativan just to function and was also started on BP meds which isn't helping. Doctor also wanted me to switch to zoloft. I HAVE to find out what is wrong. Also hear frying sound on left side of head. What should I do
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that in tall and elegant person, the sound of heartbeat may be felt in the stomach or abdomen.

This is usually related to the physical anatomy. Some metabolic conditions like high blood pressure, anaemia, thyroid dysfunction may trigger this situation.

Another condition to exclude is an abdominal aorta aneurysm.

For this reason, I would recommend performing some tests if you have not already performed them:

- an abdominal ultrasound
- a chest X-ray study
- complete blood count for anaemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri