question-icon

Is it a concern when there's slight bleeding every time I wipe myself?

Posted on 2 days ago
Question: when i wipe i get some blood..
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
different possible causes but hemorrhoids most common

Detailed Answer:

Blood on wiping, particularly bright red blood, is most commonly an indication of hemorrhoids though other causes are also possible.

If you undergo screening tests such as colonoscopy and you've had a scheduled one then the more serious causes are not likely because they would have been picked up.

If you have not been screened then you should consider it though blood on wiping is commonly due to hemorrhoids, other causes have to ruled out.

Other causes include-(1)benign (not cancerous) growths in the colon
(2)diverticular disease - this refers to outpockets in the colon, not cancerous but can cause pain and become infected
(3)infection of the colon
(4)cancer of the colon
(5)inflammatory bowel disease- usually associated with diarrhea and pain

If you have a history of hemorrhoids and they are painful at the moment along with the bleeding then treatment consists of- (1)avoiding prolonged standing or sitting (when sitting use a donut cushion)

(2)warm (not hot) sitz baths, 2 to 3 times daily for 15 to 20 mins with epsom salts or normal salt

(3)dabbing not wiping after a bowel movement

(4)avoiding straining by using a stool softener such as docusate for a few days

(5)use of an anti inflammatory medication such as naproxen or ibuprofen would help with any pain and swelling

Reduce hemorrhoid recurrence by increasing fluid intake and the use of a high fiber diet.

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James (28 minutes later)
hi, i have had 4-5 colonoscopys in the past...got cleared for 5 yrs. a couple yrs. ago. i do not see blood in stool?? if it persists i guess see my doctor but is it possibly serious...thank-you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
5 years is good, most people screening is 8 to 10 years,not likely serious

Detailed Answer:
HI

With a history of repeated and regular colonoscopy, serious causes are not likely. Most persons, unless there is a family history, do colonoscopy every 8 to 10 years, so 5 years ago is good.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James