Is hiccups occurrence often in an infant normal?

Pediatrician
Question
hi doc
my daughter is 1.5 months old.she often gets lot of hiccups.what to do
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper burping is possibly lacking.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. The hiccups in a child of this age is an indication of reflux. The junction of the foodpipe and the stomach are not tight enough in babies and therefore if the baby is laid down after feeds, the feed refluxes up and causes the hiccups. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration.

Let me know if I could help further.