Is having mild mitral regurgitation and mitral valve prolapse a cause for concern?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: If i have mild mitral regurgitation and mitral valve prolapse should joing the military be a big deal? I have no problem running . Ive played sports all my life and only found out about this recently. No doctor tbat i have ever been to has heard it but listening to my heart. I had an echo and thats when i found out about this problem i never knew i had. Joining the military is somthing ive always wanted to do. Im not going into a field that is very physical. The only symptom ive ever had is slight light headedness sometimes when i stand up. Please help
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can join the army...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Having a mild mitral regurgitation and mitral valve prolapse isn't a big deal and doesn't expose you to cardiovascular events. It's a common echocardiographic finding and you shouldn't worry about it. The only risk that have patient like you is to do infective endocarditis after dental procedures or tattooing etc.

Joining the army doesn't expose you to further risk and you should realize your dream.

The only recommendations in your case are:
- A regular annual follow up with cardiac echo
- Prophylactic use of antibiotics in case of high fever
- A good dental care (oral hygiene)
- Avoid tattooing

Hope this was of help!
Wish your health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
Thank you that makes me feel much better. I believe i have mild regurgitation in other valves also like my tricuspid valve and some insufficiency. I dont have the paper but every thing is mild or slight. And also what condition would you say would keep me from joining. And what signs should i look for that shows something may be seriously wrong.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You shouldn't worry about other valves too, as long as there's only mild or slight valvular regurgitations. There's no condition for the moment that would keep you from joining.

The only conditions that may keep you from joining are heart failure and pulmonary edema. As long as you are asymptomatic you shouldn't worry about joining the army.

Wish you all the best!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist