Is frequent rubbing of the eyes along with squinting normal in a 3 month old child?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor, I have a 3 months old daughter
1. she rubs her eyes too much I think they are itchy is there anything I can do to help her?
2. She seems to see in different directions as squinting, should it be further investigated?

Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry, if otherwise no significant abnormality.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I won't get worried if there is no eye discharge or redness. These two signs are almost always present if any infection, irritation, allergy or other eye abnormality.

Some degree of malalignment is commonly seen in infants below 6 months of age as eyes start to function and brain starts to read the image. This malalignment is intermittent and should not be permanent.

If you noticing it intermittently then you need not to worry as it usually subsides as the baby grows. But if there is persistent defect in alignment between the two eyes (known as squint). I would suggest you to consult an ophthalmologist for evaluation.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 43 hours later
So I need to check with ophthalmologist after 6 months?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can wait till 6 months if it is not persistent.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

It depends on whether the malalignment (both eyeball not moving in one direction together) is intermittent or persistent.
If it is intermittent then you can wait till 6 months of age as it suggests that it is physiological and it usually subsides by 6 months of age.

But if you are noticing deviation of eyes which is persistent, then I would suggest you to consult an ophthalmologist immediately, so that early treatment can be started.

If you are not sure that it is persistent or intermittent, better you consult a pediatrician/ophthalmologist for evaluation.

I shall be glad to help further if you need any.

Wishing good health for your baby.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 53 minutes later
Eyeballs move in the same direction but the eyeballs are not in same position of the eye
Brief Answer:
Better get it evaluated.

Detailed Answer:

I won't get overly worried as baby is only 3.5 months old and eye deviation is common in this age. Still I would suggest you to consult a pediatric ophthalmologist to rule out the remote possibility of any abnormality.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar, Pediatrician, Cardiology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad