Is frequent rubbing of the eyes along with squinting normal in a 3 month old child?
1. she rubs her eyes too much I think they are itchy is there anything I can do to help her?
2. She seems to see in different directions as squinting, should it be further investigated?
Don't worry, if otherwise no significant abnormality.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
I won't get worried if there is no eye discharge or redness. These two signs are almost always present if any infection, irritation, allergy or other eye abnormality.
Some degree of malalignment is commonly seen in infants below 6 months of age as eyes start to function and brain starts to read the image. This malalignment is intermittent and should not be permanent.
If you noticing it intermittently then you need not to worry as it usually subsides as the baby grows. But if there is persistent defect in alignment between the two eyes (known as squint). I would suggest you to consult an ophthalmologist for evaluation.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
You can wait till 6 months if it is not persistent.
Thanks for follow up.
It depends on whether the malalignment (both eyeball not moving in one direction together) is intermittent or persistent.
If it is intermittent then you can wait till 6 months of age as it suggests that it is physiological and it usually subsides by 6 months of age.
But if you are noticing deviation of eyes which is persistent, then I would suggest you to consult an ophthalmologist immediately, so that early treatment can be started.
If you are not sure that it is persistent or intermittent, better you consult a pediatrician/ophthalmologist for evaluation.
I shall be glad to help further if you need any.
Wishing good health for your baby.
Better get it evaluated.
I won't get overly worried as baby is only 3.5 months old and eye deviation is common in this age. Still I would suggest you to consult a pediatric ophthalmologist to rule out the remote possibility of any abnormality.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar, Pediatrician, Cardiology
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- 10 month old baby squinting eye
- How to check squint eye in 13 months old
- 9month old baby squinting eyes
- 15 month old randomly squints eyes
- Squint eyes for 6 month old baby
- Child with squint eye what is the treatment
- 18 month old squint eyes
- Eye squints in10 month old
- Squint in 11 month baby eye
- 19 month old squinting eyes
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting