question-icon

Is black stool after consumption of steak a symptom of cancer?

Posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2016
Question: Hello last night I had a big steak. I woke up in the morning and my stool looked black. Is that from the iron in the streak or should I be worried that I have cancer. I haven't had stomach pain or anything like that. I have been stressing myself lately thinking I have pancreatic cancer. So I think tje stress is affecting my stomach
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
investigation required

Detailed Answer:

Black stool may mean blood in the stool but it may also mean iron supplementation or innocent stool discoloration by certain food.

A doctor may usually discriminate between normal and bloody stool. When blood is the cause the stool is shiny and looks like tar. It's watery and smells differently. The smell is characteristic but can't be described obviously.

Since gastrointestinal bleeding is a medical emergency you'd better visit your doctor or the emergency room at once for proper investigation. Serious bleeding is usually accompanied by fast heart rate, low blood pressure, cold sweating, dizziness, faintness, etc.

I hope it helps!
Kind regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis