Is back pain associated with seizures?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 28 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Concerned that l may be having seizures; l do take a lot of medication; how do l know if l am having my first seizures? l also am having extreme lower centered back pain. Might this be related ? Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Back pain not related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic!

It might be useful to know why you are wondering about having seizures, what are the symptoms which have raised that concern. That is because seizures can take many different forms mimicking other conditions.

However they can be roughly divided in focal and generalized seizures. Generalized seizures may have different manifestations but they have one thing in common which is loss of consciousness. So if there is no loss of consciousness they can be safely excluded while in episode of loss of consciousness seizures must be considered among the possible causes.

As for focal seizures they are due to discharges limited to one area of the brain so symptoms correspond to the affected area. They can roughly be divided as:
- motor with abnormal movements of the face, body or limbs;
- sensory with abnormal sensations like numbness, tingling, hallucinations;
- autonomic with symptoms involving heart rhythm, blood pressure, sweating, bowel function etc;
- psychiatric symptoms such anxiety, fear, feeling of deja-vu etc.

Characteristic of seizures is that they last shortly, for seconds, generally less than 2 minutes, if longer other origins more likely.

As for the back pain you mention it shouldn't be related to seizures, not a seizure manifestation.

I remain at your disposal for other question.