Is an urachal cist dangerous if it is not infected?

Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Is an urachal cist dangerous if it is not infected?
Forget to add background. I'm a 40yr old male who was having mild abdominal pain on my lower right side. A stone was suspected and a CT Scan was ordered. A filling of 3mm was found in the bladder and confirmed by Cystoscopy as a urachal cyst. Only pictures of the cyst were taken during the procedure. I was told no further action is required and the pain is likely not related to the cyst. However I do see there is a very small chance of it being malignant. Similar to a radiologocial test, would a Cystoscopy be able to identify if the cyst is malignant? In general, what is the best of course of action going forward?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to remove. Cystoscopy is sufficient.

Detailed Answer:
good day and thank you for being with healthcare magic!

a urachal cyst is a common congenital anomaly where in there is failure for spontaneous closure of the connection between the bladder and the umbilicus.

a small urachal cyst that is not infected does not need to be removed . a cystoscopy would be sufficient to determine whether it would be a cyst that would cause any problems in the future or not. I agree with your urologist that there is no need to touch the cyst and would not benefit you in any way.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng