Is an accidental dosage of Cremaffin to an infant a concern?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: My baby is preterm at 33 weeks. I have incorrectly given 2.5 ml creamaffin instead of calcium syrup.Is it safe or do I need to take any treatment. It’s been only 10 mins over.

------------------------------------------------------------

Actually he is not taking mother feed due to lack of milk secrecation. As per physicians advise he is taking prenan. When ll start the diarrhoea. It is about 2hr over from medicine taken. So far no loose motion.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just ensure that the baby feeds well

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

Cremaffin can cause the baby to pass loose stools but that itself is not a cause for concern. You need to ensure that the fluid intake (breast feed) is adequate such that the baby does not become dehydrated. If the baby passes urine for more than 6-8 times in 24 hours you have no reason to worry. It is otherwise safe and nothing else needs to be done.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Thank you So much Dr. But he was in NICU for 3 days. At that time they given alternate source of prenan. Milk secregation started only after 8 for me. So he is not sucking now. I have tried more than 1 hr per day. Even I have tried with breast pump. With that also I can collect only 15 ml per day. If possible can you suggest some ideas only with veg foods for milk secregation
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If alternative source is present, baby will not suck

Detailed Answer:
You may take Laconic granules one XXXXXXX in a glass of milk, to be taken twice a day, in order to increase milk secretion. However, you need to understand that it is the baby's suck that increases the milk secretion. If the baby has an alternative source, it's hunger will not be there and it will not suck. Proper technique is also important. Merely putting the nipple in the mouth is not enough. You need to put the areola along.