Is a third dosage of Nordette 21 safe?

Question
Hi. My bf and i did it while im on my 14th day of menstrual cycle. He ejaculated inside me so I took nordette 5 hours after intercourse 8:13pm, 30 minutes after taking the pills, i vomitted. Drank my 2nd dose this morning at 8:13 am. Should I drink another dose because I vomitted my 1st dose?
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to take further dose.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your question here on healthcaremagic.

Vomiting is a common side effect of emergency hormonal contraceptives, even if you vomited after half an hour most of the drug would have been absorbed.

The recommended dosage for nordette is 4 pills within 72 hours after intercourse and 4 pills after 12 hours following the first dose. It is not clear from your history whether you took 4 light orange pills or just took one and it is also not clear if you are taking these pills regularly as contraceptives.

You can write back to me with these details so that I can help you further.

Awaiting your response.

Kind regards.

Follow-up: Is a third dosage of Nordette 21 safe? 6 minutes later
Thank you for you answer, doctor. I took the white ones (nordette 21),nordette 28 is not available here in the philippines. I do not take oral contraceptives. I only took it as ecp. I induced the vomit. Also, I felt light headed a couple of mins after taking my 1st dose.

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
How many tablets of Nordette 21 did you take?

Detailed Answer:
Dear,

Thanks for getting back to me.

A single Nordette 21 pill does not contain enough norgestril(the active medicine that prevents pregnancy), so you will need to take 4 pills, two times, that is after 12 hours and not later than 24 hours after taking the first dose.

Since you vomited after the first dose, you will have to repeat the dose just to be on the safer side(Generally not required).

My suggestion to you is, if you have taken 4 pills both times, then take another 4 pills after 12 hours from your last dose (the 8:13 am dose), that would be sufficient in your case.

If you have not taken 4 pills, then you will need to take 4 pills of nordette 21 twice again, aith a 12 hour gap between the two doses.

There is nothing to worry, you are still within the 72 hour period and this will still work.

I hope you will find this answer useful.

Thank you again for using the service, have a good day ahead.

Warm regards.

yes doctor, I took 4 pills on both dosages. Won't I be overdosing myself if I take another dose tonight at 8:13 pm?

Thank you for your answers. means a lot to me.

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Over dosing is not a big concern.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Do not worry about over dosing, you can safely take one more dose of the ECP, it wouldn't have any serious side-effects and it certainly doesn't have any long term health risks.

My advice would be to take just one more dose (4 pills) after 12 hours of your previous dose, that should suffice (this is only to be absolutely sure).

Hope this helps, good luck.