Is Strattera an effective medication for attention deficit disorder?

Posted on Thu, 25 May 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Is it reasonable to trial Strattera in a 9 year old for 5-10 days while he is still in school. The goal being that he his teacher knows his baseline and we'd like to assess at school and at home the drugs affect in a brief trial. Since it appears to have a fairly rapid onset, (without need for building up levels for efficacy, and no need for tapering), it seems reasonable. He has had no prescription drug treatment yet for the ADD component of his nonverbal learning disorder. I'm a non psych M.D. so I'm considering this approach on my own, as the Peds won't be able to meet with us in time to prescribe a trial with Strattera during the remainder of the school year. I have zero experience with these meds and am wanting to avoid stimulants in him as he is underweight for age already. In addition the Peds typically refers to a Peds neuropsych for drug therapy , so we'd be waiting months and trialing a drug with a new set of teachers that have no baseline experience with him.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be done

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care nagic.

Strattera is one of the safest optuon for ADD and I do not see any contraindication in having a fair trial by a doctor.

I hope this answers you.
If you have more questions feel free to contact me again.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist